Continuing to Build Strong Customer Relationships
Customer loyalty is one of our four corporate objectives, along with growth, profitability, and employee engagement. In 2016, our combined on-premise and cloud Customer Net Promoter Score (Customer NPS) was 19.2% (2015: 22.4%). As we further harmonize processes in acquired entities, the customer segments used for customer surveys has not yet been completely harmonized across the SAP Group. Specifically, due to the nature of the business, the Concur customer sample includes a higher proportion of general business customers in comparison to other Group entities. As a result, Concur responses make up a large proportion of the total customer sample.
While we continue to have a positive Customer NPS, we did not reach our target of 25% in 2016. As a response to the feedback received from our customers throughout 2016, we have focused on improving the quality of our follow-up process to ensure a timely resolution of customer issues. We have provided more insight into how customers can migrate to our innovations without disrupting their business processes. With a sustained emphasis on follow-up, we are targeting a combined Customer NPS of 21% to 23% in 2017, with our medium-term goal of reaching a combined Customer NPS of 35% to 40% by 2020.
Continuing Strong Customer Demand
We help companies transform into digital businesses. In 2016, we saw customers do so by licensing or subscribing to the full range of SAP software, from comprehensive solutions for large enterprises to the latest mobile apps.
Some examples by region include the following customers:
North America and Latin America (Americas) Region
- The Dow Chemical Company, based in the United States, has decided to deepen their relationship in SAP through the investment in SAP HANA, including a future state vision around SAP S/4HANA in support of their business objectives
- Hershey, headquartered in the United States, is upgrading to the SAP S/4HANA suite to achieve enterprise connectivity through access to actionable information at the right time for everyone, anywhere. The large chocolate manufacturer will gain real-time insights from both operational and other data and can simplify global business processes to drive efficiencies and scale.
- Itaú Unibanco Holding, based in Brazil and one of the top 20 banks in the world by market value, is currently using the SAP HANA platform. It recently added Ariba Network, through which Itaú joins the SAP marketplace for business-to-business transactions.
- Live Nation, the global leader for live entertainment based in the United States, has purchased Concur Travel & Expense to meet the needs for an end-to-end travel solution from travel request, to online and agent assisted travel planning through to trip reimbursement. Important in the selection process was a full-featured mobile app, exceptional end-user experience, robust analytics and reporting, the ability to integrate with existing Live Nation systems, and the flexibility to configure to their travel policy and business practices.
- Mexico Proyectos Y Desarollos chose SAP Ariba Buying, advanced edition, SAP Ariba Strategic Sourcing, and the SAP HANA platform to standardize operative, strategic sourcing, and management processes while achieving better corporate negotiations and reducing maverick purchases. The construction infrastructure company expects to transform procurement processes by leveraging technological innovation and fully achieve its functional and automatization needs.
Asia Pacific Japan (APJ) Region
- Cathay Pacific, based in Hong Kong, chose SAP S/4HANA and the SAP HANA platform to simplify its business process, enable operational-level reporting directly from the airline company’s operational system, and provide the foundation for further system migrations.
- China National Chemical Corporation (ChemChina), China’s biggest chemical group and a Fortune Global 500 company, has invested heavily in overseas acquisitions. It chose SAP S/4HANA, the SAP HANA platform, the SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management component, and the SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation application to keep pace with rapid organizational expansion. Through this partnership, ChemChina is leveraging SAP’s leading technology to redefine its IT strategy, optimize IT infrastructure, improve efficiency and business insights, and prepare for a transition to Industry 4.0.
- NTUC Fairprice, one of Singapore’s largest retailers, chose the SAP HANA platform, SAP Payroll Processing, and SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting Posting solutions to improve employee productivity and engagement. As a customer-oriented retailer, the company also strives to boost productivity and raise overall customer-satisfaction levels by simplifying processes, automating manual practices, and obtaining detailed insights from integrated analytics.
- Rockland Distilleries in Sri Lanka has chosen the SAP Hybris Cloud for Customer solution over competitors to lead the company through its digital transformation journey. The solution will help increase the productivity of its salespeople and gather business insights that will enable it to make strategic and transformational decisions.
- Roy Hill Mining Operation is an independent iron ore operation with a project to become the largest single ore mine in Australia. The project is turning to SAP software, including SAP S/4HANA, the SAP Multiresource Scheduling application, and the SAP Integrated Business Planning solution, to view its inventory in real time, make informed decisions on maintenance activities, and manage its supply chain costs more effectively.
Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) Region
- Barry Callebaut, based in Switzerland, is one of the world's leading suppliers of high-quality chocolate and cocoa products. It has implemented SAP solutions to integrate 65,000 small-scale cocoa farmers in Côte d’Ivoire, enable sustainable cocoa farming, and improve the livelihood of farmers, their families, and their communities. The company recently went live with the SAP Rural Sourcing Management solution, an integrated, cloud-based solution running on SAP Cloud Platform. It provides farming organizations with mobile and desktop access to important data immediately to help simplify and digitalize business processes.
- Bilfinger, a German industrial services provider, selected SAP SuccessFactors HCM Suite, including the SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central solution, to standardize HR processes and increase workforce transparency. A further aim is to establish a global talent management model and increase workforce performance. The solutions will help Bilfinger drive its strategic objectives for productivity, consolidation, and compliance.
- Inter Cars, the largest importer and distributor of automotive spare parts in Poland, chose the SAP Hybris Commerce Cloud solution to establish a full omnichannel platform that will address the business strategy and help the company achieve its goal to double its revenue within the next few years.
- L'OCCITANE, a French natural and organic ingredient-based cosmetics and well-being retailer, chose the SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central and SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting solutions to streamline human resources processes and gain global visibility into its workforce. It also expects to attract and hire top talents and develop a workforce that helps to support the company’s digital transformation and growth strategy.
- Targin, a large Russian multiproduct integrated oilfield service holding, will implement SAP S/4HANA as an introduction to the next generation of SAP software. SAP S/4HANA will support Targin in transforming its business enterprises and increasing the efficiency of its business processes to reduce downtime and increase inventory turnover and the company’s market share.
Helping Customers Invest
To help companies invest in SAP solutions and associated services and hardware, SAP Payment services offers customers payment plans. SAP Payment services can help preserve liquidity, provide an alternative to credit from customers’ existing banking relationships, and balance their budgetary priorities, while giving them the flexibility to choose their preferred solution.