Reimagine your business with fully digitalised processes and real-time information. The SAP Extended Enterprise Content Management (SAP Extended ECM) application by OpenText covers document and records management need including information retrieval and collaboration by connecting e-mails, documents, and other content to core business processes.
Fuel digital innovations with end-to-end intelligent content management
Simplify access to all relevant information
Gain a 360-degree view of all information as part of your business processes across departments and office locations.
Improve business efficiency
Streamline IT, cut application and administration costs, and optimise resource consumption, while shortening cycle time by integrating content with transactions and workflows.
Mitigate compliance risk
Reduce regulatory compliance risk by implementing a DoD 5015.2-certified records management solution for unstructured content, including physical records.
- Integrate with Microsoft Office 365 to support online co-editing, Microsoft Team integration, and more collaboration options
- Leverage business workspace features to strengthen internal collaboration, help ensure accurate information disclosure, and reuse traditional corporate content
- Link any piece of electronic content to business processes to find and share content with greater ease
- Help ensure information accuracy and currency through document version control, access control, and audit trail capabilities
- Enable users to find what they need, when they need it
- Manage scanning requirements with automated metadata tagging and enhanced image scanning
- Support critical business systems and all major scanning hardware to turn paper documents into digital business assets
- Render content into standardised formats automatically to help ensure future readability
- Provide a records management program that spans multiple SAP and third-party systems
- Manage electronic and physical records throughout their lifecycles
- Create classification plans, retention periods, and disposition policies and place items scheduled for destruction on hold
- Retrieve business-related documents from any location to help ensure consistent information flows and efficient global business processes
- Integrate content from multiple SAP and third-party systems to create process-oriented, virtual views directly in your SAP system
- Archive petabytes of digital ECM and SAP content in a common archive store
- Write content onto alternate, unchangeable storage media; time-stamp it; and then retain audit trails within the archive
- Identify duplicate instances of content within the file system to eliminate redundant copies
- Replace paper-based processes with content-centric ones
- Integrate documents with workflows from SAP solutions
See SAP Extended Enterprise Content Management in action
What are analysts saying about SAP?
SAP ECM solutions by OpenText is helping organisations digitise their operations
Learn from IDC's business value study snapshot on SAP Enterprise Content Management Solutions. See the facts and view how customers optimised their document and vendor invoice management related operations and what the benefits were worth.
Jump-start your implementation and drive ROI by collaborating with industry experts, consultants, and support engineers throughout your journey.
Transform your business quickly and effectively by taking advantage of our holistic service and support plans, expert consulting services, custom application development, proven best practices, and deep industry and technical knowledge.
Help keep your SAP solutions running at peak performance with our IT experts and support services, including long-term plans, embedded teams, remote technology support, self-service portal, and innovation strategies.
Security and compliance
Focus on your business and customer relationships, while keeping your data safe and reliable. SAP takes a proactive, predictive approach to maintaining compliance and data security in the cloud and within an on-premise data centre.
Frequently Asked Questions
Enterprise Content Management or ECM is a software application that helps organisations create, organise, manage, integrate, secure, preserve, distribute and publish unstructured content such as Word, PDF, PPT, XLS, images, videos, and audio files. An important element of an effective ECM system is it’s integration with the business applications, allowing users to work collaboratively within the context of the business process across the enterprise. ECM allows organisations to categorize and structure all of that content in a meaningful, easily searchable way, improving user experience and providing important analytical capabilities to drive better decision making. Robust ECM solutions also provide strong records management capabilities to help lower costs and reduce compliance risks. A SaaS based ECM application is now commonly referred to as Content Services.
The terms Content Management and Enterprise Content Management are often used interchangeably. But without the word Enterprise in the term, it could mean that it is a point solution being used to manage content in a department or specific area with limited capabilities whereas ECM implies an enterprise wide solution that is fully integrated across various applications to capture, store, manage, preserve and deliver information based on the business context.
Enterprise Resource Planning systems are focused on structured data and transactions. ERP is a system of record for an organisation especially for financial data and reporting. Whereas ECM has to do with managing all the unstructured content and documents that accumulate outside of the purely transactional processes. Bringing these two systems together provides significant business benefits as a common information interface for users across the business.
Document management is a subset of content management or ECM. Document management involves capturing, organising, storing and managing the lifecycle of documents such as Word, PDF, or XLS files, but ECM systems extend that to other types of content such as video and audio files, emails and office productivity and publishing tools. Plus ECM systems offer records management for enhanced compliance and enterprise level business process integration capabilities for collaboration.