During the first half of 2021, SAP has delivered important innovations for SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP), ABAP environment as part of SAP Extension Suite. These enhancements support customers in side-by-side extension scenarios covering focus areas such as analytics, operations, and development efficiency and include the following capabilities:
- Enriching customer extensions with advanced analytics through tight integration with the SAP Analytics Cloud solution
- Simplifying customization of applications with business configurations
- Improving operations and health monitoring of customer extensions using the SAP Focused Run solution
- Enabling key-user-adaptation capabilities such as field extensibility in the ABAP RESTful application programming model
- Enhancing support for continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) in application development, including new APIs for automated testing
With SAP BTP, ABAP environment, we can leverage our ABAP expertise to transform legacy extensions into intelligent cloud solutions running on SAP BTP. Together with the upcoming embedded version for SAP S/4HANA Cloud, we will be able to close the circle for the extensibility needs of our entire customer base.
Timothy Santy, Lead Expert SAP Development, Delaware BeLux
SAP plans to complement existing extensibility options of the ABAP programming language by offering the technical foundation of SAP BTP, ABAP environment as a development platform within SAP S/4HANA Cloud. This new capability is designed to allow SAP customers and partners with ABAP development know-how to extend standard SAP applications in a modern, lifecycle-stable, and unified way, leveraging released business objects and business APIs of SAP S/4HANA Cloud. This approach can reduce total cost of development and operation when extending SAP S/4HANA Cloud core processes. A first version for selected customers and partners is planned to be released in the fall of 2021 to incorporate feedback of early adopters.