Data and the information technology that generates, collects, and analyzes it is critical to building a resilient infrastructure that ensures sustainable industrialization. Many emerging countries lack the core IT infrastructure needed by large and small businesses alike. However, mobile technologies and cloud services provide an opportunity for smaller enterprises to adopt the latest technology without massive investments in data centers. The rapid evolution of blockchain technology offers innovative opportunities to create transparency along business processes, be it in food or fashion supply chains, or even financial services. With our solutions, SAP is able to provide the necessary tools to make changes everywhere – regardless of location.
Innovating an Industrial World
Empowering entrepreneurs with the tools and support to make their dreams a reality takes a team effort between nonprofits such as Endeavor Global Inc., private enterprises such as Compartamos Banco, and SAP. With joined forces, we are making it our purpose to raise a new generation of innovators for Africa and the rest of the developing world.
We are committed to helping countries around the world innovate and build a resilient infrastructure for sustainable industrialization.
Fostering the spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship, SAP set up the SAP.iO Fund and the SAP.iO Foundries program in seven locations around the world. Empowering women and diverse entrepreneurs to build successful businesses is one of the guiding principles. Together with Accenture, SAP.iO Foundries Berlin and Munich launched the Sustainable Future Accelerator Program by choosing thirteen start-ups and thus making it the largest SAP.iO cohort to date. Among other things, the early-stage B2B startups will receive curated mentorship and access to SAP technology to help them address sustainability challenges across multiple industries. Goodr, one of the winners, uses blockchain technology to manage food surplus and combat hunger.
Innovative solutions from SAP.iO startups help businesses succeed amid COVID-19:
- Andjaro, for instance, provides visibility to internal employee capacity, supporting short-term secondments for companies with multiple locations within a geographical boundary. Customers like hotel chains and convenience-store chains have been actively using Andjaro to reallocate employees, such as store clerks, so customers’ needs can be met even in cities undergoing lockdowns.
- The MeQuilibrium well-being and performance platform leverages behavioral psychology, neuroscience, and artificial intelligence (AI) to support and improve employee health and wellness. The company’s COVID-19 Response Kit provides curated resources for individuals, managers, teams, and senior leaders.
- Goodr has introduced COVID-19 Emergency Support, including an emergency one-time pick-up request option for businesses looking to donate surplus food to a local non-profit, as well as opportunities to sponsor deliveries to those who are less fortunate.
Shapoorji Pallonji and Company Private Limited is a leading global, diversified organization in India with interests in engineering and construction, infrastructure, real estate, water, energy, and financial services. With such diverse businesses, the company needed a scalable, flexible, secure, and robust platform to drive sustainable growth and engineer a better planet. Through a massive digital transformation, SAP delivered its cutting-edge technology, including SAP Business Technology Platform, and provided the flexibility and agility needed to support continued innovation and business growth.
Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) transports 1.25 million passengers and traverses 147.5 million kilometers each year. As the largest consumer of electricity in Switzerland as well as an electricity producer, SBB leverages SAP technology for its smart, real-time power management platform. This enables it to orchestrate electricity demand and supply, especially during peak demand hours. The solution monitors power demand in real time and automatically decreases peak loads by proactively switching off connected appliances, such as heaters in rail cars, without sacrificing passenger comfort or affecting the performance of heating systems.
Uniper is dedicated to ensuring power security for its customers while moving our society toward a greener, more sustainable, low-carbon future. With roughly 34 GW of installed generation capacity across its environmentally friendly hydroelectric and gas plants, Uniper SE offers individual power, heat, and natural gas supply to industrial customers and energy partners around the globe. Part of Uniper’s commitment to energy efficiency and sustainability is a digitalization strategy that applies both to plant and back-office operations, for example leveraging SAP Business Technology Platform, SAP Mobile Services, and SAP Fiori Apps to increase efficiency and security by streamlining their plant management, procurement, and IT processes.
With the increasing incorporation of machine learning and AI into standard business processes, responsible digitalization requires a guiding compass. Which technology applications are to be supported by SAP, and where may these applications conflict with our values?
SAP’s nine guiding principles for AI provide the foundational framework for our application innovation. In close discourse with the SAP AI Ethics Advisory Panel, made up of a group of external experts from various related fields, our principles will continue to evolve over time.
Together with the European Union’s high-level expert group on artificial intelligence, we furthermore shared insights and took the dialogue further in a free online course on openSAP: “Creating Trustworthy and Ethical Artificial Intelligence”.
More on SAP's Contribution
- Innovation at SAP and SAP’s Start-up Programs
- How businesses can accelerate technology for sustainable impact
- Innovative solutions in the utilities industry for a sustainable future
- SAP.iO Foundry New York: Sustainability in Retail & Consumer program
- SAP.iO Foundry San Francisco: Sustainability in Retail & Consumer program
- Can AI fix the racial wealth gap?
- By land, sea and, air: emerging technologies to tackle climate change
- Innovating a path out of the climate emergency
- How to use digital transformation to create a more sustainable world
- Helping innovators inside and outside of SAP build products, find customers, and change industries
- SAP One Billion Lives
- Raising the bar for responsible behavior