Project Delivery Framework for Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions
8 min read
Embedded analytics for SAP Commissions provide the tools you need to interactively analyze live sales performance data that is captured in your Sales Performance Management applications.
Table of Contents
To begin, here is a short video get overview of sample stories delivered to customer tenant as part of Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions.
Project Delivery Framework Fundamentals
Before going into the details on how each phase works, there is a set of fundamental principles and practices that need to be understood for Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions. These principles are important across all phases.
- The project delivery approach for Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions is a hybrid of waterfall and agile project management methodologies.
Business requirements and solution design are confirmed before starting development.
Development and testing are conducted in an iterative approach, giving key stakeholders rapid visibility into the solution and the opportunity to provide input for the next iteration.
Training is key for understanding the terminology and the basic foundations of Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions as you work through requirements gathering and subsequent phases.
Ensure you have identified the correct team members to participate in each phase of the project, which will help you avoid any delays and miscommunication as you work through requirements identification, solution design, build and testing iterations, deployment, and training.
Delivering Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions by Project Phases
The project delivery framework for Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions has been adapted and aligned with the below phases, which have been summarized for quick reference purposes. The five phases and high-level stream view are presented below.
The purpose of the Prepare phase is to set the project up for success by establishing the business value objectives that will be achieved and to identify the project team members and procedures that will achieve those goals. Key information about the business’ existing quoting processes and rules are collected and reviewed to prepare the team for requirements gathering and design activities in the next phase.
- Identify and document business value objectives and the corresponding project deliverables
- Secure executive sponsorship and resource availability for all project phases
- Document project scope and mechanisms for tracking project schedule, budget, status, and risks
- Develop a project team training strategy and start project team training
- Obtain documentation of existing business processes and requirements to prepare for project kick-off
- Confirm the availability of the Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions development environment and set up administrator access
- Prepare teams for the project's Explore phase
During the Explore phase, the project team reviews information provided by the customer in depth to better understand the current quote creation process and how Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions can be configured to meet the value objectives. The team documents the requirements and solution design, and uses this as the basis for the configuration performed in the next phase.
- Conduct a project kick-off workshop, which includes a detailed review of the following aspects of the
- Understand and identify usage of Embedded Analytics solution for SAP Commissions
- Identify user story requirement. Common stories are mainly targets for:
- Payee story and manager story
- Admin story
- Non-commissions user story for finance or sales operations users
- Identify data model required to build user stories.
- Stock data models are standard models used by sample stories. Customer can also build new stories using stock data models
- Custom data model(s) can be build in case of stock data models are not sufficient
- Identify security requirements
- User creation and provisioning
- SAP IAS(Identity Authentication Service) is used for user and access (authorization groups) management. User and respective authorization groups can be maintained directly in SAP IAS or in a automated way
- Users and roles maintained in SAP IAS are propagated to Embedded Analytics via SAP IPS(Identity Provisioning Services)
- Data level security. Identify data level security requirement for each user stories
- By default users are given data level access permission based on their Org position in SAP Commissions. Data permissions can be configured to allow users to see reporting data for specific business unit, position group, position hierarchy or ALL(full) access
- Data security for user stories using custom data model can be built using structured privilege concepts at database level
- User creation and provisioning
- Document business requirements and obtain approval from the customer
- The SAP implementation team creates a high-level design document that describes how the customer requirements will be fulfilled by Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions
- The SAP implementation team creates a ‘proof of design’ prototype and reviews with the customer to demonstrate feasibility of the proposed design
- The customer approves the design documents which are used by the implementation team in the Realize phase
- The customer begins preparing test scripts and acceptance criteria, which are used to validate the completed solution during user acceptance testing (UAT)
The Realize phase is conducted in an iterative fashion, with the implementation team building out stories in Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions and the customer conducting testing and providing feedback for the next iteration. In this way, the customer is able to provide continual feedback and the solution is further tailored to meet their requirements.
- Configure and build stories within Embedded Analytics for SAP Commissions according to the approved design
- The implementation team conducts Unit testing
- The customer conducts user acceptance testing and provides feedback
- The team continues iterations of builds and testing until the solution fulfills the approved requirements
- The customer provides UAT Sign-off and preparation for the Deploy phase begins
During the Deploy phase, the tested solution is migrated to the production environment and the customer prepares for go-live. The end-users complete training on the new solution and the customer transitions from services to support.
- Migrate the tested solution to the production environment
- End-users complete scheduled training
- Activate end-users accounts
- Deliver implementation documentation
- Deliver support transition document
- The customer transitions from services to support
The purpose of the Run phase is to utilize the new solution to achieve the benefits offered by a more accurate and simplified quoting process. The customer may choose at this stage to work further with the implementation team on additional enhancements.
This project framework is applicable either as a standalone implementation or part of the overall SAP Customer Experience solutions. You can refer to Overall SAP Customer Experience solutions Project Framework to learn more about the project setup with multiple solutions across the portfolio.
Some key links:
- Project Delivery Framework for SAP Sales Cloud
- Project Delivery Framework for SAP Sales and Service solutions
- Project Delivery Framework for SAP Commissions
- Project Delivery Framework for SAP Workflow
To access all our community or out of the box product documentation, please check out our List of Online Resources.