Project Delivery Framework for SAP Commissions
10 min read
SAP Commissions is an end-to-end configurable solution that manages your entire incentive compensation process from sales order to payment for your direct and indirect sales force.
SAP Commissions reduces errors, aligns sales to corporate goals, and helps you spend your compensation budget wisely.
SAP Commissions enables administrators to quickly create, refine and distribute effective commission plans. It has been optimized to process transactions and analytics faster for increased agility and real-time insights.
To achieve these standards, we run our projects with the SAP Activate framework for commissions. This is the proven approach to implement projects across regions and industries.
Table of Contents
- Project Delivery Framework Fundamentals
- Delivering SAP Commissions with Phases
Project Delivery Framework Fundamentals
Before going into the details on how each phase works, there is a set of fundamental principles and practices that need to be understood for SAP Commissions. These principles are important across all phases.
- SAP Activate is a proven methodology that can help you successfully implement SAP Commissions projects.
- The project approach for the SAP Commissions is mainly a Waterfall approach
that can take on aspects of a hybrid approach by using iterations during the Realize
The project approach is based on successfully completing each phase before moving on to the next phase.
- It is key to go through training so you understand the
terminology and the basic foundations as you work through requirements gathering.
Ensure you have the right team members dedicated throughout the length of the project to help avoid any delays in delivering requirements, feedback, data and to ensure all scenarios have been considered and are ready to test.
One measure of a project success may be quantified by a project plan that is:
Before to deliver project and start first phase of project implementation, we can propose a blueprint phase. This one is optional but essential according to complexity and/or longevity of the project.
Delivering SAP Commissions with Phases
The project delivery framework for SAP Commissions has been adapted and aligned with the below phases, which have been summarized for quick reference purposes. The five phases and high-level stream view are presented below. This methodology is based on SAP Activate methodology.
The purpose of this phase is to ensure all key information has been received. The implementation team can review and prepare for detailed requirements gathering. It is a critical time to ensure that all project team members, who will have roles throughout the implementation process, will be assigned and allocated proper time.
- Connections and administrator users
2. Readiness Checklist and Customer Requirement Documents completion
- Provide business requirements with use cases.
- Provide reporting mock ups.
- Plan schedule for processing.
- Provide summary of permissions for payees and administrators.
- Provide organizational data and information.
- Provide a complete and comprehensive list of compensation plans.
- Provide sample extracts and outbound files with data architecture and source systems.
- Align project teams and ensure proper team member assignment.
- Develop a training strategy and start project team training.
- Optional: Realize a blueprint defining End to End functional scope and End to End solution based on
3. Definition of project roles for Commissions project
- Engagement Manager
- Project manager/ Solution Manager
- Solution Architect
- Solution Lead (Onshore/Offshore)
- Business Analyst
- Workflow Lead (Onshore:Offshore)
- Technical Lead (Onshore/Offshore)
- Reporting Lead (Onshore/Offshore)
- Test Manager
- Test Team
The purpose of this phase is for the implementation team to do a deep dive into the requirements on the various topics to determine the design and configuration of the system that will support the required outcomes. The questions and topics below may vary based on requirements and scope.
Conduct a Kick-Off Workshop
- Identify and validate corporate business objectives and value event.
- Review solution delivery approach.
- Identify business owners, key users, operation owners, and technical key resources from the customer's side.
- Articulate the responsibilities of all involved parties.
Introduce the steering committee members, cadence, decision processes and meeting structure.
Conduct Discovery Workshops
Review the business requirement categories listed below. Workshops may be broken down by category.
- Organizational Hierarchy
- Organizational Changes
- Payee Data
- Business Operational Processes
- Plan Components
- Calculation Elements
- Payment Cycle
- Dispute Management
- Plan Documents and Distributions
- Data Integration
- Single Sign-On
- Plan Communicator
- Project Setup
- Define high-level project plan.
- Secure team member assignments.
- Establish meeting cadence, budget tracking, and reporting for value delivery.
- Re-validate scope.
- Document all workshop requirements.
The purpose of this phase is for the implementation team to design the solution, configure based on the design, and continue any additional requirements gathering in preparation for end-to-end testing. The realization activities depend on the requirements defined and agreed to from the Explore phase workshops.
Design and Configure
- Design and High Level Design acceptance
- Approve the functional solution design, including a gap analysis in solution design.
- Begin the configuration and building of the solution in the development environment.
- Test preparation
- Review the testing approach, objectives, documentation and exit criteria.
- Define and document all test cases.
- Prepare the test data using a combination of production and mock data.
- Configure and Test (with iterative releases where applicable)
- Test in the logical progressive order.
- Conduct end-to-end testing of the solution.
The purpose of this phase is to
- migrate to production
- confirm and ensure customer readiness
- switch business operations to the new system.
- Resolve any crucial open issues and conduct cutover activities.
- Create operational handbook and conduct a handover workshop.
- Work with the customer to create a rollout strategy.
- Execute transition plan from services to support.
- Execute organizational change management plan.
The purpose of this phase is to
- Start utilizing the system,
- Achieve the value event
- Start gaining the benefits of an automated process.
Your dedicated expert Implementation team will work with you to define any additional enhancements and provide assistance and advice in running and operating your system
Quick Start Videos
Below are some valuable quick start videos to watch through the implementation journey.
Commissions Key Workspaces for Business End Users - SAP Sales Cloud: SAP Commissions
Commissions Key Workspaces for Admins - SAP Sales Cloud: SAP Commissions
Commissions Additional Features - SAP Sales Cloud: SAP Commissions
This project framework is applicable either as a standalone implementation or as part of the overall SAP Customer Experience solutions. You can refer to Overall SAP Customer Experience solutions Project Framework to learn more about the project setup with multiple solutions across the portfolio. Visiting the SAP Activate Methodology for SAP Sales Cloud Roadmap helps you to set up your implementation project aligned with SAP Activate.
To customize your business process around Commissions, for example split credits for an order, assign a different rep to a sales order, bonus / deposit payment and more, Workflow is an excellent tool that allows you to that and much more. Here are the links for more information on Workflow: